Paul McCartney Takes the Field at Fenway Park

By Matt Murai on August 5, 2009

Paul McCartney, pictures, picture, photos, photo, pics, pic, images, image, hot, sexy, latest, newBOSTON — Paul McCartney hopes to hit a home run Wednesday when he opens the first of two shows at historic Fenway Park in Boston. Here's hoping this trip to the baseball diamond beats some of his past ones.

"I accidentally broke a girl's nose when I was a kid with my back swing," McCartney recalled in an interview with the Boston Herald. "I still remember her name. Shirley Prytherch. P-R-Y-T-H-E-R, um, C-H, I think. I don't know, but it sounds Welsh to me. It's something like this that accounts for all the armor you guys wear now playing baseball. She didn't have any and look what happened to her."

McCartney's appearance at the home of the Red Sox comes 43 years to the month since the Beatles last played in Boston at Suffolk Downs on Aug. 18, 1966. That show came just 11 days before the British rockers played their final U.S. show at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

While there was plenty of buzz when McCartney first announced plans to play Fenway, he hasn't been able to follow in the footsteps of such artists as Bruce Springsteen, The Police and The Rolling Stones, all of whom previously sold out the venue within minutes. In fact, tickets for both shows remain available.

Buy Paul McCartney Tickets

As for his future, McCartney told the Herald that he doesn't plan to hang up his guitar anytime soon.

"All I can say is that I'm not retiring," he said. "It's like, 'Paul is dead.' 'No, I'm not,' is all I could say. I did talk about retirement in one sentence in one story and only to say, 'No way Jose.' But someone must have only read part of that one sentence. As long as people want to come and hear me, I'll probably be doing this."

Brooklyn pop duo MGMT is opening both of McCartney's show. Check out the video below for a sneak peek at the preparations.